Archive for category Vitamin
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, offers a number of benefits to our health. It is found in fruits and vegetables and has antioxidant properties. Antioxidants helps the body fight the symptoms of aging and keeps blood cells healthy from toxic substances that may lead to cancer.
The best benefit vitamin C offers is aiding the formation of collagen. This is the protein substance that keeps all cells together. Vitamin C is active within the cell wall where it transforms pro-collagen into collagen. Without it, the formation is interrupted. Another benefit is that it helps iron absorption. Iron is essential to maintaining clear and healthy skin, a fresh complexion and healthy teeth. It is also necessary for the function of all glands and organs. Iron also aids in relieving both psychological and physical stress.
It is easy to understand why vitamin C is so important to our body. It benefits our health is many aspects, aiding our body both from the inside and outside. If your diet lacks vitamin C, some symptoms may include skin hemorrhages, anemia, slow healing and soft gums. Another result of vitamin C deficiency can be faster aging. A lack of vitamin C in your diet also leads to a weak immune system, resulting in a low resistance to diseases. A deficiency may also cause various drugs and pollutants in the environment to affect your health greatly. In the worst case it could lead to the development of scurvy with symptoms like bruises on the skin and bleeding from the mucous membranes.
Vitamin C exists plentifully in nature and it is very uncommon to see people lacking it in their diet. The most common source of vitamin C is from citrus fruits such as oranges and limes. Another good source is vegetables like tomatoes, broccoli and potatoes. It is also available in other foods such as melon, strawberries, spinach and mangoes. However, the quality of the vitamin can easily be damaged by exposure to air, slicing, cooking or in other stages of food processing. To get as many benefits of vitamin C as possible, it is always best to eat fresh fruits and vegetables.
Although vitamin C plays an important role in a healthy diet, excess intake is not recommended. Vitamin C is water soluble and is not harmful, but large doses may cause diarrhea. The maximum recommended daily dosage is about 2000mg per day.
Visit The Health Blog and learn more about natural sources of vitamins.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Christian_Nilson
Benefits Of Vitamin C:
* Benefits of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) include the benefits for immune system. Vitamin C is a great protection against immune system problems. Vitamin C is even used for cold prevention or used in combination with Zinc and echinacea to shorten duration of colds. Vitamin C could prevent serious complications of the common cold like pneumonia or lung infections.
* Ascorbic acid benefits include benefits for your bones. Vitamin C is used in many nutritional supplements for bone health (the combination usually also includes Magnesium and Calcium).
* Ascorbic acid benefits include the ability of vitamin C to help with healing bed sores. Studies show that vitamin C and Zinc improve skin healing for bed sores and other skin breaks.
* Vitamin C benefits include great skin healing properties. Ascorbic acid makes skin younger looking, brighter and healthier. Great vitamin C benefits include prevention of skin wrinkling. Vitamin C can also be useful for spider veins and broken capillaries.
* Benefits of vitamin C include positive effects for adrenal function Some recent studies showed vitamin C was very beneficial to people whose immune system was weakened due to stress. And who is not under stress? Vitamin C is one of the vitamins that are sensitive to stress, and vitamin C is one of the first vitamins to be depleted in smokers, overweight people and alcoholics. When we are in distress (that includes any types of stress: environmental, dietary, work related, etc) and our system needs an increased amount of vitamin C.
* Vitamin C benefits include the benefits for your heart. Vitamin C is a great antioxidant. Most antioxidants are great for cardiovascular health.
* Vitamin C Antioxidant. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant and therefore can protect against damage caused by harmful molecules called free radicals. Vitamin C can also protect against toxic chemicals and environmental pollutants like cigarette smoke. Free radicals are those bad guys that can build up and develop into cancer, heart disease, and arthritis.
* Vitamin C benefits include preventing prenatal health problems. It is recommended in every prenatal vitamin.
* Since vitamin C is a great antioxidant, one of the vitamin C benefits is that it’s considered to be effective in prevention of the eye disease like macular degeneration.
* The newer benefits of vitamin C are considering a benefit of stroke prevention.
* Another relatively new benefit of vitamin C includes life extension.
* Vitamin C is associated with reduction of inflammation.
Vitamin C Benefits
Everything you need to know about vitamin C benefits and importance of vitamin C.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Inna_Lukyanovsky